Jeffrey J. Pyle
Jeffrey J. Pyle is a trial lawyer specializing in First Amendment and media law. He has represented clients in state and federal court in a wide variety of civil cases, including libel claims, civil rights cases, and commercial disputes. Jeff also provides prepublication review services to media companies, advising them on how to avoid liability for such claims as defamation, invasion of privacy, and copyright infringement.
Jeff has secured the early dismissal of several libel cases against the media, avoiding the expense of discovery proceedings. He has successfully litigated claims for access to government documents under public records laws, and has defended reporters against subpoenas for information.
Jeff frequently teaches and writes about issues involving media law, constitutional law and First Amendment rights. From 2003-2007, he co-authored (with Prince Lobel attorney Joseph D. Steinfield) an annual update of access law for the Practising Law Institute’s Communications Law program in New York.
In 1994, the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts awarded Jeff the David Burres Civil Liberties Award, and he is now a cooperating attorney with the organization. He is also a member of the board of directors of Massachusetts Citizens Against the Death Penalty, and treasurer of the Petra Foundation, a charity that recognizes and supports unsung heroes of community service and social activism.
Jeff graduated magna cum laude from Boston College Law School, where he worked as solicitations editor for the Boston College Law Review. He then served as a law clerk for the Honorable Michael A. Ponsor in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. He joined Hill & Barlow as an attorney in 2001, and in 2003 moved with several other attorneys to Prince Lobel.
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Boston College Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2000
- Trinity College, B.A., 1997
- 2006–present: Named a "Rising Star" by "Massachusetts Super Lawyers" in the area of First Amendment/Media/Advertising
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- 2013: Council member, Boston Bar Association
- 2011-present: Board of Directors, American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts; member of ACLU legal committee
- 2010-2013: Chair, Boston Bar Association Amicus Committee
- 2004-2006: Co-chair, Boston Bar Association Civil Rights & Civil Liberties Section