Asya is a trusted business advisor to media clients, regularly
counseling them on issues ranging from publishing sensitive stories to
leveraging intellectual property assets. She works closely with editors and marketing staff to develop effective
procedures for managing matters such as running promotions and hiring child
models. Whether advising national
magazine companies or new media startups, Asya becomes integrated in her clients’
businesses and offers subject matter expertise on matters such as:
- Use of third party materials such as user- generated content and stock images.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements with freelancers, talent, bloggers, models, publishing companies, and film producers.
- Prepublication review of editorial and advertising content.
- Selecting, registering, protecting, and enforcing trademarks.
- Licensing intellectual property assets.
- Providing fair use opinion letters.
- Accessing documents and meetings under public records and open meeting laws.
- Developing sweepstakes, contests, charitable events, and other promotions that are compliant with state and federal laws, as well as social media platform guidelines.
Asya also litigates cases involving trademark, copyright, and other
intellectual property claims. Her recent
cases have involved:
- Defending a nationally-recognized personal trainer in a federal trademark infringement lawsuit.
- Litigating trademark, trade dress, and copyright claims on behalf of a product developer against a national sporting goods retailer.
- Defending a regional transportation authority in a trademark infringement case, resulting in a voluntary dismissal of all claims.
- Representing a medical office in a trademark infringement lawsuit against a competitor.
plays a prominent role in the legal and professional community. She has taught seminars on native
advertising, promotions law, copyright and fair use, and electronic discovery
for groups ranging from the American Society of Magazine Editors, to the Local
Media Association, to Design Exchange Boston. She also founded and leads the Russian-Speaking Lawyers Group and
Russian Professionals Group, is co-chair of the International Intellectual
Property Committee of the Boston Bar Association, and an active member of the
McGill University alumni community.
at Northeastern University School of Law, Asya served as the Symposium Editor
of the Northeastern University Law Journal.
lives in Somerville, where she volunteers with the Somerville Arts
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2011
- McGill University, B.A. with honors, 2008
- 2014: Named "Up and Coming Lawyer" by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- 2013-present: Named a "Rising Star" by "Massachusetts Super Lawyers" in the area of First Amendment/Media/Advertising
- Boston Bar Association, co-chair of the International Intellectual Property Committee
- Copyright Society