Asya Calixto concentrates her practice in media and intellectual property litigation and prepublication review.
Asya counsels clients in selecting and registering trademarks, as well as protecting and defending trademarks and trade dress in federal court and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB). She advises clients seeking to protect their copyrights, as well as those seeking to lawfully use othersâ€™ copyrighted works. Asya also regularly advises clients about their rights to access government documents and meetings under public records and open meeting laws.
While at Northeastern University School of Law, Asya held intern positions at the U.S. Attorney's Office, at Prince Lobel, and at other Boston-area law firms. During law school, Asya served as the symposium editor of the Northeastern University Law Journal, as a research assistant on intellectual property topics, and as a teaching assistant for several first-year courses.
- Represented author in dispute involving Copyright Act, Lanham Act, and 93A claims.
- Represented business client in trademark proceeding before the TTAB.
- Counsels clients in developing intellectual property policies and fashioning employee, freelance, and other agreements to protect their intellectual property.
- Advises and represents clients in disputes relating to access to government documents and meetings under public records and open meeting laws.
- Conducts prepublication review of editorial and commercial works, helping clients avoid liability for defamation, invasion of privacy, intellectual property infringement, as well as violations of state and federal advertising regulations.
- Works with clients to develop compliant sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions.
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 2011
- McGill University, B.A. with honors, 2008
- 2013: Named a "Rising Star" by "Massachusetts Super Lawyers" in the area of First Amendment/Media/Advertising
- 2014: Named "Up and Coming Lawyer" by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- American Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association: Co-chair of the International Intellectual Property Law Committee of the Intellectual Property Law Section
- Women's Bar Association